Search This Blog

Friday, October 3, 2014

Berlin to Amsterdam

Last part of my Antwerp - Berlin - Amsterdam trip


Berlin - Magdeburg 183 Km

Exiting Berlin can take more than one and a half hour because of the size of the city. Potsdam is definitely a nice place to bike around with its lake and history with the casttle Sans-Souci, you can easily spend 2 hours there. From Potsdam I went through the forests to the National park after Kloster Lehnin south to Görzke, daw some deers. Up to day my deer count in Germany is 20, my squirels count is only 10. Then I cycle along a busy road to Möckern and Magdeburg called The Romanic road, you see lots of medieval towers and churches in the villages around.
Magdeburg is one of my favorite city on that trip, the mix of modern and historical buildings is a success. The city is open and organised around a main avenue surrounded by small neighborhoods organised around historical or modern squares. Plenty of life, it is a student city and art is everywhere. The highlight being the Green citadel Of Hundertwasser.
Youth Hostel 25 euros including breakfast.

Wansee

Magdeburg


Magdeburg - Braunscheig 122 km 

The Elbe valley part is quite flat and not that interesting untill a few km from Helmstedt. Talked to an old guy in Helmstedt who told me that the east/west border was 3 km away but I didn't notice any difference while cycling. I took a small road to Königslutter then Braunschweig.
I was quite happy to arrive before 5 pm. Unfortunately the attendant at the tourist office lead me to an elusive camping site. I cycled 1 hour in a beautiful parc and couldn't find anything. Fortunately I stopped Georg and Suzana, who called the tourism office, help me find a room in town, they even tried to talk to the owner of a sport center, nothing worked they offered to stay in their garden house a few km away but the hotel was quite convenient. Unfortunately because of this I didn't have time to visit Braunschweig. After my hotel I went out to a restaurant with Georg and Suzana, great fun ! I hope to see them again.
Hotel Meyer 35 euros 

Helmstedt

Georg and Suzi


Braunschweig - Mardorf 138 km

Nice ride to Peine through a forest, then you have to listen to the clock of Peine, a trumpet annouces the hours then the bells. From Peine I followed the bike route mostly along the train rail to Lerhte, not much to see in this city, pass your way. The ride through Hanover was very long I checked a few buildings, but it isn't a very attractive place so I kept going to Stöcken, Meyenfeld, Horst and Neustadt then I found a camping on the lake in Mardorf. Mardorf is set on a beautiful lake.
Camping am zee 10,50 euros

Braunscheig

On the way to Peine


Hannover train station


Mardorf - Osnabrück 140 km

Left early, no wind, misty lake. I cycled to Loccum on the cycle ways. Then I cycled between the road and the canal to Petershagen, nice village, from there followed the canal to Minden. In Minden I followed another canal to Osnabrück dirt road most of the time but worth it, nice three hour ride to Bad Essen wich is a nice village. Between Minden and Bad Essen there is no food or water unless you quit the canal. From Bad Essen I went to Osnabrück over the mountain.
My first impression of Osnabrück was quite negative as two car drivers yeld at me without reason, when I tried to ask for direction people were ignoring me. However after 7pm, the city seemed more relaxed though. I had a Falafel dinner in the old city and chatted with my table mate Cristina, then we both headed to a concert hall near by to listen to the Pulp Funktion, a groovy band. Free music in town today.
Youth hostel 30 euros

The lake in Mardorf

Christina


The Pulp Funktion in Osnabrück


Osnabrück to Goor (The Netherlands) 145 km

Today is the german reunification day. All shops are closed. Roads are empty so I took the main road to Enschede in Holland. There are a few hills around Osnabrück but they are getting smaller once you approach The Netherlands. I passed a few town without much interest. I talked to a guy on a recumbent bike going to Berlin, he was riding an Optima Condor, nice bike, I still have to try one of these. Found a camping between Goor and Markelo, nice place in the woods.
Camping 11 euros

Last dinner in the woods


Goor to Almere 125 km

Easy going ride on a flat road through the woods. Rushed to Deventer, stopped at Oude Molen. The wind was pushing me. Decenter is quite nice, it was market day, I took my time and had a nice Latte. Then I headed to Het Loo the queen's palace in Appeldorn and road some dunes in the woods all the way to Nijkerk then Almere. So far 142 km per day average since Berlin 6 days ago. Tomorrow relax ride to Amsterdam and to Irene's mum, should be around 70 km.
Staying with Irene at her sister's.

In case you doubt I reached The Netherlands.


Almere - Amsterdam 40 km





That's it for now, I have cycled for more than 10 000 km around Belgium in a year. What's next ?












2 comments:

Unknown said...

Congrats, I enjoyed every kilometer. Hope to manage trips like this one day.

viviane personne said...

Déjà fini.......
FELICITATIONS SINCERES
BISOUSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS