Search This Blog

Thursday, September 25, 2014

Antwerp - Berlin Part 2


Sassenberg - Höxter 146 km

Rain all night but lucky me the morning is dry. I biked to Gutersloh via Harsewinkel, pleasant ride, horses, appels and hazelnuts... Then kept on to Verl and Schloß Holte where the hills are more serious. After Augustdorf I went to Detmold nice city but didn't have much time. From Detmold I took the R1 again, fantastic ride, very hilly all the way up to the Marien feild monastry and then to Höxter, very nice city with old houses, nice woody area and I am now under my tent, next to the river, thunderbolts lightning the area, my cocoon will hold hopefully. Camping on the river Weser 8,50 euros.







Höxter 


Hey George Clooney, what else ?


Höxter - Goslar 139 km

Fantastic ride following the R1 again, flat along the river untill Holzminden charming village.Then slowly uphill to Einbeck a nice city center, from there it gets very difficult specially after Seseen, it is best to avoid the R1, the path is in very bad state, at one point I couldn't bike the last 10 meters of a hill it was too slippery, there was also a cobblestone hill not very pleasant with a tree in the middle of the path, good path with a mountain back.
Goslar is one of the most interesting city in the area. Very pleasant with a unique architecture.
Camping 8,50 euros.

Market in Einbeck !

Rainy day ! Trees are falling.


Goslar - Bernburg 133 km

It rain all day and today I didn't take the R1 too many sections off road. I went to Betingrode first, nice little village then Blankenburg, nice city and to Quellingsburg, beautiful city, Unesco World Heritage, where the first German kings were crowed (that's what I understood ) note that in the 2 tourism offices they have only one young guy speaks an approximate english.
After Quellingsburg I took a very busy road to Asherschleben, saw some interesting old medieval towers then a quick route to Güsten and Bernsberg. Seems that a nice city, I will explore tomorrow morning. Found a camping on the Saale river. 9 euros.

Former East - West Border


Crossing the Saale river on a small ferry, background is Bernburg Castle.



No comments: