Search This Blog

Thursday, June 26, 2014

From Belgium to Spain part 2

Evron - Nyoiseau 80 km
Easy ride, small roads, I stopped for a coffee in La Chapelle-Rainsoin and stayed on the D20 untill Villers-Charlemagne then took the D154 and D152 to Fromentières.
The highest point of the journey being Chateau-Gontier where I had lunch in an old café with style. Located on the Mayenne river this village is worth a visit, lots of nice monuments, the river is quite nice as well. From there I headed to Empoignée, Mèe and Nyoiseau, nothing to see except the nice countryside.
Nyoiseau is a small quiet village with a charming camping on the river Oudon. Very quiet only one bar/café/lotto with no customers. Julien the camping manager offered me a drink and we chatted for a while with 2 of his friends, I recommand to stay on that camp for the location, the quietness and the staff. 5 euros 50.


Château-Gontier and the Mayenne river

Weird People around my bike


Nyoiseau - Nantes 115 km

Nantes is a big city worth at least a couple of days of visit. I am back after a few weeks visiting my friend Rémi for just one night.
The ride was pleasant from Nyoiseau to Candé via Chazé sur Argos then I took the D165 towards Ancenis. Very nice city on The Loire river. I then followed the Loire on the right bank wich was apparently a mistake. There were some works on the bike road and I had to turn around after 10 kilometers, no other way and no good deviation signs before engaging myself there. The path along side the Loire river is a dirt road and I would advice a Mountain bike or big tyres. An other thing to check is water, there was no place to refill between Oudon and Nantes and it I was dry one hour before Nantes.

The Loire river in Ancenis

Ouzon


Nantes - Aizenay 66 km
Commuting ride to meet my friend Cécile and her kids Pauline and Martin. the road was straight down south, a few nice villages with some castle along the way, Pallau being the main attraction on this road.

With Martin and Pauline


Aizenay - La Rochelle 138 km
From Aizenay I decided to ride to the coast, I went to Jard-Sur-Mer via Talmont St Hilaire where I had a coffee in front of a medieval castle then I followed the European cycle route to La Rochelle.
Difficult ride because of the heat wave, 38 celsius on the road dixit a fellow biker electronically equiped. I also met James and Rupert, 2 cyclists going to Île de Ré from Great Britain I was exhausted and stayed behind them to avoid the wind. The coast is quite windy and the route is sometimes a dirt road.
In La Rochelle it is the Fête de la Musique. I am not sure I slept that night, music until my departure in the morning.
I met Harald a german cycling from Santiago to Bretagne and we shared the expensive camp site good deal, 8 euros. The camping municipal is walking distance from the city center.

Fête de la musique

La Rochelle by night


La Rochelle - Mortagne sur Gironde 115 km
An other day under the sun.
I followed the beach and right at the start in Aytré, met 2 bikers we cycled together for 25km to a nice coffee place in St Laurent de la Prée where they offered me coffee and breakfast, we chatted for a while, then they took me to a back road to reach Rochefort and they went back to Aytré. My day started very well.
I went through Rochefort, this time took the Pendular bridge, for bikers and pedestrian only, avoiding the dangerous bridge for cars that I took 9 months earlier.

Then the road is quite flat towards Royan. I just forgot that we were sunday and didn't have enough food or water. Looking for my way in the village of L'Eguille. I followed some sign post "Le Sel de Madi". I stumbled upon a group of people ready to have lunch, they were preparing some mussels covered of pine leaves and ready to be burned in a traditionnal way of cooking called 'Eclade'. I just asked for some water to Madi and she kindly invited me for lunch. They are all members of a group of local exchange and trading system called SEL (Système d'Echange Local). It was a fantastic lunch with wonderful people giving their time to help each other without money. I wanted to pay for my lunch but they kindly declined.
This is a link I found on internet www.Solidaire.org explaining all about it in French.

After this lunch I cycled to Mortagne sur Gironde, nice camp site with a fantastic view, very clean with a nice person. What a day ! I highly recommand that camping municipal.
Around 6 euros a night. 

Aytré the low tide in the morning

Pendular bridge in Rochefort, a city I already passed 9 months ago.

Mussels on fire under the pine leaves with great company !
The local name for this kind of cooking is Eclade

Some of my wonderful hosts.
2 hours break.
And this is Madi, my fantastic host !


Mortagne Sur Gironde - Bordeaux  (Parempuyre) 75 km

This morning I woke up and it was raining for the first time in 12 days. Jean-Jacques and Danielle saw me looking for shelter and offered me coffee, it turned out to be a breakfast with home made jam. We chatted for a while waiting for the rain to stop, they were travelling in a modern VW van, Jean-Jacques has been travelling like this since the sixties, then he was a pionneer and drove all other Europe windsurfing. Before I left he gave me some home made Deer pâté.
An other good start for my day, it is always nice to meet people like this.


Waiting for the ferry in Blaye

On the Ferry

On the brown waters of the river Garonne

Lost in Margaux

Total 1185 km, 12 days so far, Average 98,75 km/day... To be continued, looking forward to reach Spain in the next days...






1 comment:

Cécile said...

De superbes photos... une en particulier!!! ;)
Tu n'es pas passé loin de chez nous, tu aurais pu passer voir Waldek, t'aurais du coup vu toute la famille...
Impatiente de lire la suite.
Bises